Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Time to [splat]

Uhhhh....I went and saw The Brothers Grimm tonight, it was a good movie. I found it entertaining, and it inspired me. On another note, I was slightly bummed to discover my netflix acount was billed before I got a chance to cancel my free trail. It's only 15 bucks, plus tax, but still, I didn't want to spend it.

My hours next week are low, but I'm gonna try to cover a shift or something. I know God will provide for me, he always has. I'm not worried.

So I'm sitting at my computer, I have Cowboy Bebop (best show of all time) playing in the background, and I want to write a story. So here goes:

An ealy night, I guess. Sun's just barely setting, but I think I'll turn in. How did I get here anyway? Oh! That's right; it all started six years ago, on a warm, starlit night.

She sat with her back to me, the lanterns grew dim as the fuel ran low. The innkeeper hollered out, "Time to go, the lights are low, now get out, or I'll kill you!"

He sang that every night, I taught it to him, learned in my traveling days. He thought it was funny, so did I. Where was I....oh yeah, the girl. As the tavern patrons made their way home, she just sat still, head bowed, her beautiful red hair conceiling a sad smile. "It's time to leave," I said. "Rooms are all full, and I know you're not renting a single one."

A tear dropped onto her table.

"That's not going to get you a room-"

"You knew my father, didn't you?" She looked directly into my eyes, I nearly fell over.

Yeah, I'd known her father. We were bounty hunters together, but that was another life, I didn't even fight anymore, and I said as much.

"Please help me," she smiled.

I had to choke back tears, her green eyes glistened in the fading light. "I can't help anyone any more." I turned to go to my room, but she placed her hand gently on my arm.

"I don't need much. Please, for my father."

I motioned for the innkeeper to bring us another pitcher of ale. I told him I would close up when we were done. I sat across from her and looked in those pretty green eyes. "Tell me what you need."

She reach up her hand and placed it on my cheek. She leaned over the table and kissed me. Not as a lover, more like....a...sister! My heart nearly stopped in my chest. I'd never experienced this kind of tenderness from someone before. "Just give me a place to stay."

What can I say? You'd like to think I would do the right thing, help out the daughter of an old friend, but did I make the right decision? I've asked myself that question for six years. That is why I lay down every night, before the sun sets.


Ok, it fizzled out in the end, maybe I'll come back and do something with it, but it's 1:40 now, and I'm tired. I can't think anymore. Goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment