Monday, November 06, 2006

Black dad+White mom+dreadlocks=vandal?

Last night I went over to Jeremy's apartment to hang out.....like I do every Sunday night, and as I'm driving out of the complex I saw a police officer sitting on the side of the road. I thought he was simply trying to catch late night traffic violators, so with that in mind, as I'm pulling through an intersection on a green light (or it might have been flashing yellow, that's how late it was) I look behind me and see flashing red&blues. Now, I don't think I have up-to-date proof of insurance in my car, so I'm in a minor panic trying to think about when I can actually get into court to prove that I do indeed have valid insurance.

Anyway, I rolled my window down, and the officer assures me that I'm not getting pulled over for a traffic violations (which was good because I hadn't committed one!). He asked me if I lived at the apartment complex that I just pulled out from, I said no, but I was there hanging out with friends every Sunday. Then he asked me if I knew anything about the "guy on the bike". You see, Justin doesn't have a car, so he rides his bike everywhere. He is also black and has dreadlocks about two and a half feet long. I chuckled mildly (maybe nervously) and said, "Yeah, he's one of the guys who I hang out with every week. He's also one of my coworkers."

The officer told me that Justin looked like a guy they'd arrested a couple months ago for spraypainting in that complex, and he just wanted to make sure it wasn't happening again, though how anyone could tell that Justin looked like anyone other than Jr. Gong with as little light as there was on that particular street is beyond me. I assured the policeman that Justin was not the same man, and then I caught up to Justin, who was riding his bike on the same street that I was on, and related the amusing incident to him.

Now, I know some of you might get mad at this "racial profiling", but when you hang out with Justin as much as I do, it doesn't bother you that much. Justin might have gotten mad, but I didn't see it. I think he just found it funny in an "I'm disappointed in humanity" kind of way.

That's my anecdote for the day, now that I have a day off from work, I'm going to work on more homework :(

PS, blogger spellcheck wanted me to replace "dreadlocks" with "teratology". Bwuh?

No comments:

Post a Comment