Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Remembering Brynly

This last February, Quill & Think assigned a story poem challenge to its members. Since I've been reading poetry for school lately, I thought I'd go and take a look at the one that I'd written. After looking it over, I made some revisions, and this is what I have:

Ol’ Topply’s Tears
By Giles

Old dear Topply plays his fiddle quick as a sprite
While young, sweat Brynly dances on his right.
Gaily they sing of days gone by
While tears of great joy stream out of my eye.

I sit and sip on a pint glass o’ beer,
Rememb’rin’ the love of a summer last year;
She’d orn’ment herself in the lilies of spring
And dance in the center of mystic Faery rings.

Topply now changes to a tune of despair,
Sweat young Brynly unties her red hair.
The fiddle it moans of a winter gone past
And a love and a loss of Topply’s Ol’ Lass

Her name was Faer Finola, her hair was bright as gold,
But the heavens came and took her as the air grew still and cold.
Nine months she’d been with child, nine months she’d swelled with joy,
For Topply and Finola thought they’d raise a grand ol’ boy.

But as the snows started fallin’ on the roofs of our small town,
Finola’s pain came on her so the midwife laid her down.
“Oh no the pain ain’t stoppin’,” cried the nurse with much alarm.
Poor Topply ran in prayin’, but the birth had done its harm.

Finola laid there cold in bed not a breath left in her breast,
But Topply stemmed the flow of tears and held his baby to his chest.
He looked down at the newborn child with a curly lock o’ red,
“I think I’ll call you Brynly, dear, from a book that I once read.”

As I heard Sweat Brynly’s tail, I rose up to my feet
“Ol’ Topply, here’s to you good man,” and I downed my liquid peat.
Ol’ Topply raised his hand to mine as I walk on toward the door,
Brynly smiled her thanks to me, like her mother years before.


The project was to write a story poem inspired by another poem. I chose a poem written by J.R.R. Tolkien, but I have to admit that I was also listening to a Flogging Molly CD (can't remember which one). No, I did not copy any of their ideas, I just felt like I was writing something that reminded me of something. Think whatever you like about the poem, I know it's not all that good, especially compared to Tolkien.

If you want to read the orriginal, it can be found here. You'll need to scroll down a bit because the entire month is archived, and this was a very active month for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment