Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Anniversary: 5 years

Five years ago today, I opened up my web browser, found this small site on the internet that I could use to rant about my life, and began my blog. I posted a short history of my life (it's still there if you want to click on the archives in the sidebar), and after that, I basically turned into a journaler (I know it's not a word, but work with me, here).

Today, on my five year anniversary with blogger, I want to do a bit of a retrospective, followed by a change of direction in this blog. But where to begin?

Back in November of 2004, I worked at Borders in Lakewood, CO after a thirteen month stint in Portland. My first girlfriend had just broken up with me, and I felt like I needed a place to write. This is where I ended up.

I'm not going to bore anyone with a detailed list of what followed. Let's just remember that after a second girlfriend broke up with me, I decided to get back into my writing passion. Less than a year after starting this blog, I began a second site with my best friend. Flatiron City, the giant city in a building that sits just outside of Boulder, became an outlet for my desire to create stories and characters, and while I used that site to hone my abilities to craft good stories (don't read it lest I prove myself incapable of writing), I also sought an education at Red Rocks Community College.

After five semesters there, I dropped everything I was doing, except for my new job with my parents' company, to begin work on my third attempt at authorship. The mystery novel I'd thrown out after a very enjoyable vacation in London no longer weighed me down, and the process taught me how to create plots that would thrill readers for years to come. (Don't read too much into my words, I know I still have a long ways to go before I am a noteworthy author, I'm just detailing what I've learned for you.)

I'm married, now. I have a completed novel that I'm shopping around to one or two agents a day, though I refuse to have more than ten queries floating around at once (that means if I haven't heard back from any of them, then I'm waiting until I have received at least one response before sending out more queries).

There are a lot of things that have happened in the last five years, many of which I never thought would happen. Sure, I hoped to be published by now, and when I started this blog, I hadn't even met my wife, so I expected to marry someone else (and boy am I glad I met my wife! :D ). I'm definitely glad that I'm not working at Borders anymore, even though I miss working in a coffee shop.

As for the future, I'm still not sure of what this blog will be about. I plan on writing about my books, telling you about my passions, and commenting on random events in the world, but other than that, I don't know where we'll go.

One thing I know for sure: I refuse to let this site be my outlet for whining. It's called High Aspirations, and I aspire to great things. Therefore, if I do not reach the greatness I seek, I will, at the very least, aspire to inspire you, my readers, by sharing the lessons I learned from my experiences.

Onward we go, into the future!

2 comments:

  1. Ah the Future......

    I am glad you waited for your wife too! (She's my daughter! LOL)

    I am sooooo proud of you, Giles. Keep writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God gives us discernment so we can intercede, not so we can complain or be critical. (it's a quote, but I don't remember from where ... Oswald Chambers? "Streams in the Desert"?)

    Thank you for including us in your journey. I'm glad we were able to get you started! lol

    ReplyDelete