Monday, November 30, 2009

It moves forward

I believe that by the end of next week I'll be able to start outlining my next book. While I am torn between writing a short story and the sequel to Defender of the Crown, I'm convinced that, for now at least, I need to get a full synopsis ready for the book so that when agents talk to me, I have more of a pitch than "well, I'm working on it, but I don't have anything concrete, yet."

Now, I do have two and a half complete plot arcs that I intend on squeezing into this book, and I have some great character development for the protagonist and his three friends, it's just not written down.

In other news, I'm not sure what direction I want to take my Flatiron City short story. You see, the Ellery Queen looks for mysteries that aren't necessarily who-done-it stories (which I don't quite understand, but am more than willing to learn about) and Fantasy and Science Fiction doesn't actually deal with fantasy...at least that's what their submission guidelines state. All stories must contain Sci-Fi elements to them. They don't have to be prevalent, but they must be in the background somewhere. That's not a direct quote, but it is a paraphrase. Anyway, that makes it all but impossible for me to publish short stories from my book series (which I would really like to do), but it DOES make it easier to get something for FC out there.

I'm rambling, I know.

Finally, this week I am going to sit down and give you that preview of FC that you all have been waiting for. As I said, I'm going to begin with the Hanaka Nippon Tea Gallery, and I'm going to start from scratch rather than pull pieces out of the other blog. I don't know how long it will be, but I am GOING to have it up before midnight MT on Saturday, even if I have to spend all day Saturday writing it.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

  1. You better have it up by Saturday. I know where you live...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO......I would take that comment seriously....LOL

    WOW..so much to learn about writing and i am trying to teach the BASICS to Middle Schooler's....Gish

    ReplyDelete