Monday, November 23, 2009

Sanity

I think I read somewhere that if writers kept all of the rejection letters that they get over the course of any publishing attempt, they could wallpaper their office with them... I saw a TV show once (actually, I own it on DVD) called Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. In this show about a late-night comedy, sketch show (yes, a show within a show), the head-writer has a clock on his wall, but it's not just any clock. No, this thing counts down from 7...7 days, 0 hours, and 0 minutes until the next show MUST be written and on the air.

And people think writing is an easy thing to do.

I decided late last week that I will graciously read every rejection letter I receive, and then throw them out. Not out of spite, not out of anger, not even because I don't want them to clutter up my inbox. It is simply because I know that if I hold on to them, eventually I'll snap! I don't know when I'll get that one, elusive "yes" from an agent, but the more "no's" I see in my email account, the crazier and more desperate I'll become. As you can imagine, this break in my sanity will not only cause my home-life to suffer, but my queries will turn into unprofessional pleas for help.

Okay, maybe not...

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone interested in writing. Don't let the pile up too high, it's how you get trapped in the wasteland of rejections. Throw out the "no's" and keep seeking the elusive "yes"!

Oh yeah, and this is pretty funny.

Edit Monday 8:15: I fixed the link.

3 comments:

  1. It's called "maturity" ~ throwing out the letters & keeping on the trail. This is a wise decision on your part!

    Oh, & the link doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only keep the rejections that aren't form rejections. Those are lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I've gotten some personalized rejections, but I figured seeing the stack in my inbox. period. would be what would eventually drive me mad :)

    ReplyDelete