Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Back to the grindstone

My vacation is over. My grandfather is gone. My book remains unpublished. But this is a new year!

There are many things I would like to talk about, my grandfather being one of them, but I have so much running around in my head, along with a query letter that I STILL have to finish. Bear with me as this post may feel disjointed.

Harold Thomas Hash, better known as Tom, lived his life in service of others. First he joined the U.S. Air Force at the age of 19, and while he served our country in the Philippines, he met a man named Jesse Miller, a survivor of the Bataan Death March during WWII. Jesse sat down with my grandpa and a handful of other airmen and taught them about someone named Jesus. I don't know the whole story of the other men gathered there, but the short story for my grandpa found him leaving the air force to become a full time missionary to the men and women of our armed services over seas.

As long as I've known my grandfather, I can look back and see him as one thing: a living example of who Christ wants all men to be. That doesn't mean he was perfect, but in every story I've heard, and in every examination I made throughout my life, I never once saw or heard him make one judgmental comment about anyone. In fact, from what I can recall of the stories my grandma used to tell me, even though grandpa's first purpose was to teach The Word of God to the men and women that came to his home, he never forced ANYONE to agree with him or live the same lifestyle he did. He simply opened the doors to his house, told the soldiers, sailors, and airmen, "I realize you're far from home, so please feel free to join us."

I want to be like my grandpa. I want to teach other men and women about who Jesus really is without making them feel judged by me. After all, I'm just as imperfect as the next guy.

In this blog, my goal is to connect with my readers. I don't intend on making this about politics or personal gripes from my social or work life (though that's happened in the past). I especially don't want this place to be my platform for preaching at people. But I can't let my grandfather go to rest without saying something about what a great man he was. And I can tell you, he never lived what he believed as a matter of faith, he lived it as a matter of fact!

3 comments:

  1. Great to hear your heart, Giles. May grandpa live on through us all...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the things I enjoy about being your friend is knowing that despite how firmly you follow your beliefs you would never force them on to anyone around me. You live your life fully immersed in your beliefs but don't become judgmental when others don't manage to live to the same standards. (If you did, I know that you never would have given me a second chance at earning your friendship).

    Hopefully the new year brings you a successfully published novel, and as much joy with Emily as possible. You deserve that and much, much more!

    (I also feel like adding that the Captca I had to fill out for this was "preac" - one letter off from preach. Odd?)

    ReplyDelete