Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Not again!

Alright, so now that I've put my revised query up in the forums, I have come to realize that the book needs yet ANOTHER round of revision. This is a major change that will take relatively minor effort: I need to increase the age of the protagonist from 13 (14 in the final two chapters) to 15 (&16). Of course that means the other characters are ALL getting older, but that's something I can deal with. And the more I thing about this change, the more I like it.

You see, the older the characters are, the more life-experience they have, which makes them more interesting, and therefore makes them easier to personify on the page, and therefore justifies the length of my novel. HOWEVER...I will be looking for things to cut. It'll break my heart, but I might just have to remove some of the scenes that I've grown fond of. And I thought I was done with edits until I got an agent.

:P

2 comments:

  1. And this is exactly why I won't read it until it's been published!

    ReplyDelete
  2. An update on this: I'm talking with the folks on the forum I've been visiting, and they've offered some GREAT advise. So, I'll talk with them about other ideas for the query letter in the hope that I won't have to revise the story.

    ReplyDelete