Monday, February 15, 2010

Am I insane?

Alright, I know this is quite a theme among aspiring writers who are in the querying stage...but WHAT'S WRONG WITH ME? Do I hate myself? I haven't even sent out that many projects, and the rejections I'm getting are suddenly wearing at me!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say anything negative about anyone, but how do people do this FOR A LIVING? And why do I STILL want to do it? I can deal with rejection, and I know that the odds are high that I'll receive many more rejections before, and even after I get published. On the other hand, in six days I received four rejections. That sucks. Even though I have a partial out there, that's the most rejections I've gotten in one week.

How do you all deal with this? What's a good way to keep from losing your mind? Right now I've been watching Dexter and playing video games. And sending out more queries, even though it almost feels like I'm banging my head against a wall.

On a side note, I would love to hear from agents some sort of specific reason why this particular project isn't right for them. I want to know if this is a genre I should move away from for a while, or if it's just down to specific tastes. I DO realize most agents are too busy to go into any kind of detail, so the fact that I've even gotten any personal responses instead of form rejections from everyone is really appreciated. Still, it would be nice to know why...:)

3 comments:

  1. A lot of people just give up. Better to work on book #2 than tear your hair out over book #1.

    What I found most difficult was that only so many agents represent SFF, and I had no idea what to do when I got to the end of that list.

    We'll talk more about it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The answer is yes, you are insane. What's the definition of insane again? It's doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. That EXACTLY what querying is!

    Welcome to the looney bin. The only rule here is, try not to interrupt others when they're talking to themselves.

    Best o' luck to you.
    Cheers, Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep at it. Pretty quick you're going to get to the point where the rejections roll right off. Then you'll start to laugh at them. :D

    The way I deal with the waiting and the wondering is to keep on writing. I've always got something going on that I can focus on, and that--ultimately--strengthens my skills.

    As you get better at this writing thing, you'll find you do get some specific feedback from agents. It may not be many, but it'll be useful all the same, and a definite sign that you're improving.

    ReplyDelete