Last Friday I sent my book to several people to look it over and "beta" read it just in case I'm missing anything that could be getting in the way of finding an agent. On Saturday, Todd sent me an email with some suggestions for chapters 1 & 2. So on Saturday night and this morning, I re-edited chapter 1. I'm actually quite happy with the changes...especially since I pulled nearly 400 words out of the manuscript! I know, it's weird to be happy about lowering the word count, but I always enjoy eliminated excess from my manuscripts.
Anyway, I'm going to wait until I hear back from the beta readers before I make any more changes to the book, and tomorrow I'm going to continue writing that elusive, in-depth synopsis.
On a side note, Todd mentioned that I have a lot of adverbs in my book. They don't stand out to me that much, no matter how many times I read through it. As I reread this book, and as I look at the suggestions my readers give me, I'm going to try to eliminate more wasteful words, but I know that adverbs will more than likely fall through the cracks. This goes along with another comment Todd made. He told me that I have a tendency to use very detailed and, in his words, overly specific. He's right, of course, but when he said that it might be necessary for the genre, I found that odd.
As I think back, many books from the genres that I've read paint pictures in the same that I would LOVE to put into my book, but they do it without necessarily going overboard on their descriptions. I don't know how much telling (instead of showing) that I do, but it's something that I'm going to keep an eye on, especially as I prepare to start another book. (Yes, I'm going to move forward with a story idea, but not yet. Details will follow). As far as this book is concerned, if my memory serves me correctly, the overly detailed descriptions kind of dwindle away as the story progresses, so I hope that saves me from a lot of work.
I'm going to try to get another post up tomorrow, but be prepared for something short.