Monday, April 05, 2010

Back from Vacation!

Okay, I didn't really go anywhere, but I'm on a regular schedule again. I even got up on time today!

I don't really have a thought-of-the-week or a column for today, but I do have some news: I'm editing my book again. I talked with Todd on Friday, and he gave me some really good critique notes. I had one other beta reader who had the time to finish the manuscript, and he was very helpful, but Todd gave me some specific things that I need to work on before the book is finished. Some of it is stuff that I already suspected, and a lot of it is stuff that I would never have noticed unless he pointed it out from a reader's perspective.

So this morning I got up and started to write another chapter. This will be the first chapter of the book and will introduce the main character and his life-changing event. I have some other things to change throughout the book, but those are all pretty small, and by the end of the week I should be done with these edits.

Now, on the one hand, I'm really glad that I got another round of beta readers to look at the book. My first beta group did help me quite a bit, but none of them had the experience I needed from a critique group. Todd, on the other hand, knows how to tell people what's wrong with their books in a way that makes it easy to approach the changes.

On the other hand, I thought I was done with edits until an agent told me to make changes for submission to publishers. Those kinds of things would be small(ish).

I'm glad I have something to focus on again, and since I only have one query floating out there without a response as of yet, it's not that big of a deal. I just want to get closer to my publishing goal, and right now it feels like I'm taking a step backwards instead of forwards.

Oh yeah, and Todd's book, The Ninth Avatar, is available for purchase. He got published through Trapdoor Books, and the book is finally available on Amazon!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Giles. I'll have to check out Todd's blog. It sounds like he's been really helpful to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the shout-out. I'm really glad I could help, and that my comments came across the right way. I want to see your story succeed!

    Speaking of which, I am printing it out now so I can make those highlights and notes we talked about. I'll give you a deadline on that as soon as I can start it.

    ReplyDelete