Monday, April 26, 2010

Crazy Dreams

Last night some friends of mine decided it would be a good idea for us all to watch New Moon...with the Riff Tracks (they're the guys who did Mystery Science Theater 3000). I have to say, the Riff Tracks were hysterical! The actual acting and dialogue for that film? Not impressive in any way. I haven't seen Twilight (though I might have to if I can find the Riff Tracks for it), but all last night my subconscious tried to re-write New Moon with a plot that actually made sense...and was worth the two hours I spent watching it.

I'm guessing that, based on the length of the book, there's a lot more to the story. But the scenes jumped around too much, the director didn't spend enough time letting the audience get to know the characters, and have I mentioned the acting? They all delivered their lines as if they were trying to mock William Shatner.

I do plan on reading Twilight at some point (for the sake of market research), and I will give a brief review when I do so. I will be as objective as possible, and I fully intend on using it as a learning experience. After all, I don't want to be one of those writers who believes their own writing is better than everything else that's out in the world, especially because Stephanie Meyer has been published (and is bloody rich), and I haven't. Obviously she did something right.

Now I have a query letter to get out, followed by finishing Chapter 3 of the WiP. Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. Unless you read the books, the movies make no sense at all. Not that the books are much better, but they appeal to a certain audience and that is all Stephanie Meyer needed to succeed.

    I read the books over and over to try and find that appealing factor. My tastes are much different and I doubt my writing will appeal to the same audience, but still it's important to write what you want.

    Can't wait to hear what you think of the books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but you *are* better than everyone else! well, at least as far as I'm concerned. :-D

    love you!
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. J. L. I'm kinda looking forward to reading the book... a fascination like trying haggis for the first time (another experience I haven't had),

    Thanks, mom, but you're hardly in a position to be objective, now, aren't you? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to say anything bad about Twilight because anyone who writes a novel and gets published has a lot of courage - and it's bad to say bad things about other people who do what you want to do.

    That being said I couldn't finish it. It's not that it's BAD per se, it just wasn't written for grown men.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Matthew, anything "bad" that I might say will be in the form of a "how it could have been done better" comment. It won't be intended to insult the author or the readers, simply a review of what I learned from it and what I did and didn't like.

    And you're right, it takes a lot of courage to put yourself out there to try to get published. I have a lot of respect for Stephenie Meyer because of that courage. We'll just have to see what I think of her writing.

    ReplyDelete