Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Desperate Writing

I've found that, while a need for a paycheck can be a great motivator to sit down and write, desperation makes that writing just awful. My current job situation is tense, and the long-term future is in question. As a result, I'm that much more motivated to work toward publication so that I can do that full time. But last night, when I found out about my job, I almost turned desperate.

Today it didn't come out in my writing (I made a lot of progress on my editing and I didn't ruin anything), but I also feel stuck. I know getting published is a long, time-consuming process, and when I'm done with these edits, it will still be at least a year before I'm published, no matter what route I take to get there. I know I can't rush this because that also creates bad writing. I also need to finish this book before I jump into another one (which I'm eager and excited for!). I just wish I had more time. I wish I wasn't so tired when I'm SUPPOSED to get up at 5am. And I wish I didn't feel so desperate today.

I don't know how desperation makes other writers write, and I'm sure plenty of successful authors got that big break because they became desperate and made some great choices that worked out well for them. For me, it just becomes a distraction.


Note: I never want this blog to be a whiny, woe-is-me, depressing blog. But I also need to be honest. Life is great! Today I just don't feel %100.

5 comments:

  1. as desperate as you feel, think about the one who talked with you last night ... holding the weight of the world (business) ... earnestly seeking to do God's will in the midst of this trying time ... longing for clear answers & peace ... & just a couple of restful nights' sleep ... & how your commitment & success bring pride & satisfaction of that job well done ... that makes it worth the struggle right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's no satisfaction today. I just feel like sleeping all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I feel "desperate," writing is pretty much the last thing on my mind.

    Don't stress yourself out with it. I know it's tough, but you've got to relax and let things take time. Unless you actually have deadlines, you're still in charge of how much & how fast you work on your project(s).

    By the way, it's totally okay to take a break from one project to work on another. Hiding it in a cabinet will give you more perspective when you come back later to edit it. Of course, this is me saying this, and I don't always practice what I preach ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, I don't know of many writers who follow their own advice...including myself :D

    We're all insane, anyway, and our advice, in my opinion, is our way of keeping OTHER writers from turning into us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, if there ever was proof that writers are weird, it's Hilary's post responses. Weird in a good way, of course, but weird.

    ReplyDelete