Monday, April 19, 2010

A newish beginning

So, last week I almost got laid off at work. While the day job isn't one of my favorite things to do, it paid the bills. I say almost, though, because my employers and I were able to come to a compromise. A little background, first, for those of you who don't know about the company. It's family owned...by my family. There are other investors who, combined, own %50 of the business. Unfortunately, business is slow right now, and I'm the lowest man on the ladder. As a result, they decided that I was the first to get cut (except my dad who intended to fight that decision as much as he possibly could).

I didn't want tensions to rise between my dad and his managing staff, and I didn't want to go through the unemployment hassle (even though UI would have paid me more than I'm making now), and I especially didn't want to take any OTHER jobs that I'm qualified for. So I went to my bosses and asked them if we could work something out. Right now, I'll be getting 8-10 hours a week. My wife and are going to cut back on our expenses, and UI benefits will be there if I need to take them later.

That's the "bad" news. The good news is now I have a LOT more time to write! I plan on finishing up edits on Defender of the Crown this week, and then I'm going to jump into a new book next week. I'll continue querying, and I'll get another story ready to send out.

My bills will get paid, and eventually I will either become a full-time writer, or business will pick up again at the day job and I'll be there full time again.

2 comments:

  1. I still have a printout of your draft sitting in a binder in the living room. The stuff with the house has really taken up a lot of my non-writing time, but I plan to get the highlights done this week if at all possible. Sounds like you're doing fine, though (aside from the day job drama).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries. You definitely have to finish the house stuff. Get it done when you have the time :D

    ReplyDelete