Thursday, April 29, 2010

Scenery and Descriptions

I have come to grips with the fact that I can't write scenery and city/community descriptions very well. At least not on the first draft. In Defender of the Crown, I do a decent job (according to the OTHER people who have read it), but in my WiP today I spent nearly an hour struggling to come up with two paragraphs that describe the city of Boulder in an impartial manner that would be appropriate for a third-person narrative.

On the bright side, I still have revisions to do before I start sending this one out. That means I get to polish it up. And I can revise pretty well, I think.

You know, the more I write for this book, the more excited I get (still!). I like where the characters are going, and I love throwing roadblocks in their way and then figuring out how to get around them, and then seeing them fail anyway. That failure is what makes a story so great! And now the protagonist gets to pick himself up and try again!

This is such an enjoyable learning experience for me, and I have hope that, given the opportunity, I could really do this for a living. I mean, I've been very productive, beat every single one of my deadlines thus far, and I know exactly what to do when I finish the first draft, and the second draft, and final revisions.

Oh, and I noticed that I have a couple more new readers. If you're curious about the project I've already finished, a brief synopsis and excerpt can be found in the Pages Sidebar on the right. Feel free to look them over and let me know what you think.

Tomorrow I have to head up to the mountains for the day job, and it's going to be really early. I may not get a post up until later in the afternoon, if I get the opportunity to get one up at all. So if I don't talk to you tomorrow, have a happy Friday and a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. I tend to skip a lot of description and scenery, especially in first drafts, when I write. Fill it in later, if possible, or just try to point out the details that would matter to the character (or you). It's not ALL important, but people need a framework to imagine how it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best of luck! I don't think I could write a book to save me, but blogging seems to be my niche. Descriptions? Hard. I like verbs. Adverbs are worthless.
    Best to you-molly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like we all have our strengths and weaknesses. For me description and scene setting is the easiest.

    I struggle the most with dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with T.D. ~ if you know it's an area you will focus on during re-write, just put in a few key words/thoughts & move on. Personally, I skip over the detailed descriptions & move on to the actual story. Unless it's integral to the plot, I figure the author is hoping for a movie deal. But, that's just my thought process.

    BTW ~ I have a book idea, but want to write it with Emily. You could help with research if you want.

    ReplyDelete