Tuesday, April 27, 2010

You should read The Dresden Files

I don't know if any of you have noticed, but I really like Jim Butcher's writing. I mean, I like it A LOT!! Last night I finished his latest book, Changes. All I have to say is, "You JERK! That's the worst... no best... no... okay, yeah, the best book you've EVER written!"

I strongly recommend the Dresden Files books because Butcher's narrative style makes them impossible to put down. Last week I talked about what makes a good page turner, and I mentioned Butcher's tendency to make each chapter end on a cliffhanger. It works because I was up WAY later than I should have been, trying to finish the book.

But it's not just the tension that makes you want to read more. He always throws in little jokes and snarky comments (Dresden is the narrator), and he throws them in at just the right moment to relieve that tension that would otherwise make you put the book down and come back to it later. The jokes are subtle, too. If you don't know the reference he's making, then it won't confuse you. You'll just skip over it. But if you ARE aware of the joke, it's hysterical!

This book wound the tension tighter and tighter to the very end... and then he left us on a freaking cliffhanger!

I really don't have much else to say today. So go read those books!

4 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book or author. I'll have to go check him out. Thanks Giles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Start with Storm Front. That's the first book in the series. They all stand alone, but there's more to the characters if you read them in order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just placed an order for a boxed set of the first 3 Dresden Files books. I'll let you know as soon as I get to reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge fan of supporting authors by getting people to buy all of their books (if they're good), but I own all of Butcher, so let me know if you want to borrow any of the later ones.

    ReplyDelete