Monday, May 03, 2010

A brief scene

This may not mean a lot to most of you, but I wrote it with my wife in mind...mostly to make her laugh. It's raw, unedited, and the first draft, so chances are it's going to change a lot before the book gets published.



Chris slept in until late the following afternoon. Completely out of ideas, he figured he should just stay home and work out. Or sleep. He did quite a bit of both. The next day, though, he went back over to the Steeles’ house. The two day rain shower finally stopped as he pulled into the driveway, and he climbed out of the Jeep to find Matt toiling away beneath his pickup’s hood. Carol stood just outside of the garage, a plate of scones in her hand and a worried look in her eye. “His truck’s still not working?” Chris asked her.

“No,” she replied, “and he’s getting pretty mad.” She offered him a scone and then turned to watch her son as he let out a furious roar and threw his wrench across the garage.

He reached for the nearest object, took it in his hands, and broke into a frenzy as he tried to beat his truck into submission. “You stupid. Piece. Of rust-eaten JUNK!”

Chris leaned over to Carol and asked, “Is that a golf club?”

She nodded. “A five iron, I think.”

“That can’t be good for his truck.”

---------------

I would give you more today, but I have to get ready for work. However, a digital cookie* awaits anyone (aside from my wife) who can point out the music reference I made...:)



*A digital cookie ----> (.';) See? it has chocolate chips!

5 comments:

  1. I can't spot the music reference, but for some reason this reminds me of tiger Woods. Stupid, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha...no, it doesn't have anything to do with him :)

    If it helps, the band I'm referencing here is from Denver, but they were pretty popular all over the country for the earlier part of the 2000s...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, that made me laugh! A five iron. Imagine if he used a driver! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! Yeah that took me a second. Five Iron...Frenzy... Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, Andrew got it! Yep, Five Iron Frenzy was a pretty popular Ska band out of Denver...popular in Denver, and among REALLY hardcore ska fans.

    ReplyDelete