Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Distracted

Yesterday I ran into sections of my book that really bugged me. They were worded badly, didn't contain enough description, told rather than showed the narrative. You know, all of the stuff that unpublishable novels are made of. I'm actually surprised that it took me so long to run into this stuff, but as the writer, my eyes aren't necessarily the most objective.

My biggest problem with sections of my work that need a lot of improvement is that it takes a lot of work to fix them. I have to think really hard about what I want to say, and then I have to figure out how to get that across without deleting everything I wrote. My brain shuts down when I have to re-word or completely re-write passages in my books, and as a result, I get headaches and I get distracted. I like to tell myself that I'm just mulling over ideas as I check twitter and facebook, but I know I always make the most progress when I just stare at my computer screen and force myself to write something.

But right now, I'm taking the time to get my daily post up. Rather than fix the book that I need to be working on. Especially if I want to start sending it out in July. On the bright side, I'm at a coffee shop right now, so I don't have TV or video games to distract me.

No comments:

Post a Comment