Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Failures

Failures are what give stories suspense. At least, that's one element that gives a story suspense. I figured out a failure for my protagonist, and I'll get to use it to add at least two chapters to the book! As I thought about the story so far, it felt like the characters just did to well without finding a lot of resistance on their path to the end of the story. So now I'm going to try to kill the protagonist. Again.

It's a GM's trick (roleplaying...tabletop). If the players aren't doing anything entertaining, or all they do is have one success after another, that gets boring. Both to the players and the GM. So a good GM will try to kill one or all of the players (their in-game characters, just so it doesn't sound like the plot of a bad movie, or something).

In this book, I just put my protagonist into a horrible situation, and now I need to write him out of it. But I want him to have a few scars and doubts to overcome when he succeeds at staying alive. I'm excited!

Because of this new development, I've halted my read-through. I figured making these additions would be a LOT more productive than just making sure the story all fit together and then adding the new stuff later. After all, if these chapters change the overall plot, it makes more sense to fix it all at once instead of doing the work twice :)

Tomorrow I'll take the time to put together that review of Soulless. I just have too much going on around the house today to get to it right now.

It's a short post today because I REALLY need to get back to work. I also need to get back to my critique of Todd's book. See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to screw with your characters and then patch it up? (Only to screw up their lives again!)

    Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should get on that... :)

    ReplyDelete