Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A jumble of thoughts

Yesterday I decided that I was going to review the book Soulless by Gail Carriger. I still have to finish reading it, but I don't get ecstatic about many books. In fact, the last book that made me think, "Wow, this is one of the best books I've ever read, I have to read EVERYTHING by this author," was Storm Front by Jim Butcher. Some day I hope to inspire young readers the way these books inspire me.

So as I started going through my book yesterday, I saw how little narrative I was adding to the story. I only got through four chapters, but I will never hit my minimum word count if I don't start adding something to this book. As I said yesterday, I'm sure that when my reading partners get a hold of this book they'll tell me what's missing and I'll have to write a couple thousand words, but until then, I HAVE figured out another side plot. And it was so obvious I can't believe I missed it on the first draft.

See, I'm making progress as a writer! Anyway, I'm hoping to have this book ready to send out to people by the end of Summer. If my day job schedule remains the way it is, that's a distinct possibility. And as much as I could use the money of a busier schedule, this extra time to write is a real blessing.

Speaking of the day job, I must be off to take care of some deliveries. I shall return to my book this afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Giles. Thanks for popping over to my blog today :D So have you decided to include the sub-plot? I just came across another of those pesky suckers myself, and I can't decide whether to use it. Hurm...I figure when I'm done with my draft, I'll decide then. For me, no more tinkering until I reach "The End"! (Alas, it's easier said than done.) Good luck with your WIP!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah! I'm definitely including the sub-plot. It makes the story better, and it keeps the ending from looking contrived.

    ReplyDelete