Friday, May 14, 2010

On frustration

This is a short post, and it will be more about how I'm learning and growing as a person than a rant at other people :)

When I first started looking for feedback on the internet, it made me incredibly frustrated when my requests got ignored. It was similar to the frustration I felt when agents didn't respond to queries, but I understand why agents don't get back to me all the time. They're busy. But the forums are FILLED with thousands of people just bursting to give their opinions...and I mean that in a good way.

Anyway, as I started blogging more and commenting on other people's blogs, I got less and less frustrated. I do still get frustrated when I'm ignored, but it's not as intense, and I don't care for nearly as long. The people who don't have any desire to help me are more than welcome to just pass me by. I've developed a base of people whose writing I can read, who will point me in a direction to get help with my work, and who (hopefully) know that they can rely on me to do the same for them.

It also helps that I'm making a lot of progress these days, so I feel like, despite a few roadblocks like a lack of feedback, I'm still moving forward :)

Have a great weekend!

P.S. I'm looking for some un-published writing to read, so if you want feedback on your work, let me know and I'll take a look at it :)

14 comments:

  1. Well, now that you mention it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I mention what? Do you want me to look over your WiP? Send it over...you have my e-mail already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It just so happens that I do have some un-published work that I want feedback on. I guess I should be the one proposing, rather than just expecting everyone else to be interested. But what can I say? I'm type B. Sue me.

    Scions of the Shade should be appearing in your inbox right ... now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Giles,
    I know what you mean. I get anxious when I feel like my stuff is being ignored too. The query stuff runs hot and cold--sometimes I'm really annoyed, sometimes not.
    But blogging? I've just come to accept it's all give and take, and the more I comment and seek out new blogs to read that are similar to my own, the more people come and read.
    Have a great weekend, and thanks for visiting my blog. You are always very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giles, I found loads of support on absolutewrite.com, sounds like you may already visit there. It's a great resource and I don't know how I would have gotten through the whole "road to publication" process without the people I met there, not for critiquing, but mental support. I have made several life long writing friends there!

    Hey, I have good news for you!! You won the signed copy of Dawn's book! w00t! It's a great book!

    xoxo -- Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hilary, absolute write is actually where I get ignored the most. Or told to give up on this whole writing thing because my work isn't good enough.

    They've been helpful at times, but for the most part, I get looked down on by a handful of vanity-published authors. Hence the frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On the other hand, the folks over at Nathan Bransford's forums have been REALLY helpful over the past week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. what kind of stuff do you like to write?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judith, I write YA Fantasy, sci-fi, & mysteries.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ditto on what Lydia said. I found that when I critiqued others on the online writers group I'm on (Internet Writing Workshop), more people helped me out. When I visit other people's blogs and leave a comment, they come to see mine.

    The agents not getting back to me- well, guess I just have to live with that. Last weekend I organized my old querries and emails and that's when it really hit me how many don't even bother to send a form rejection.

    Or maybe some agent somewhere has my manuscript and a year from now I'll get an unexpected acceptance... in my dreams... :/

    But good luck on your quest as a writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amanda, a couple of posts ago, I mentioned how much I prefer the blogosphere over forums simply because the poeple I interact with on blogs are MUCH more helpful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah, I do love bloggers too.
    But I've found super helpful people at IWW too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Something you might find helpful closer to home, is taking a writing course if any nearby colleges offer them. I recently took writing workshop, that produced a small group of writing friends who are able to critique my work and then sit around and discuss it with me over coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark, I actually spent two years at school before I jumped back into writing as a career pursuit. It helped A LOT! Most of the other students, though, either didn't like creative writing, or they didn't take it seriously.

    But I HAVE met some good people outside of the bloggosphere.

    ReplyDelete