Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Questions!

I'm making a lot of progress on my book still, and it REALLY makes me stoked. By the end of June, I should be able to start sending this out to agents! Isn't that exciting? I'll have the entire first draft finished in less than a month! I know many authors can hammer out a first draft in one week, but I'm still learning, and I have other responsibilities that get in the way sometimes.

I have some day job stuff to do today, so rather than ramble on about subjects I've talked about before, I'll just leave you with a couple of questions: what makes you excited today? Big or small, what are the things that you look forward to in the near future? And what kinds of improvements have you made in your life over the past five years that will make your life over the next five years even better?

6 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work on the novel! I know it's hard to find time, but it's well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A week? You mean writing a whole first draft of a novel in a week? Who do you know like this, because I definitely need to take a lesson. Heh.

    I received the first 3 Dresden Files books yesterday, by the way. Thought you'd like to know.

    As to your Q's:
    what makes you excited today? checking things off my GIANT to-do list at work. I hate being so organized, but it helps when I have a ton of stuff to get done.
    Big or small, what are the things that you look forward to in the near future?
    having the house unpacked. getting our new furniture. Micah's birthday & subsequent party.
    And what kinds of improvements have you made in your life over the past five years that will make your life over the next five years even better?
    I think "moving to Colorado" still applies here as the best decision I ever made in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. today ~ excited abt getting the reupholstered chairs reassembled!
    near future ~ seeing/being with Dave & my family (that means you too!)
    changes past ~ more relaxed abt life & learning to live with less/simply; still learning to be quieter (less loud, not a quiet personality ~ *that's* not going to happen!)
    changes future ~ scaling down for retirement/next phase in life; holding & loving grandbabies (HINT)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Todd, I can't remember the names of the authors who can hammer out a first draft in a week, but it they're definitely not publishable...they require SOME editing at least. Stephen King can definitely churn out manuscripts with machine-like efficiency...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thing King said in On Writing that he is able to bang out 200k+ word drafts in 3 months or so. I can't even imagine how horrible a draft would be if I had to start and finish it in the same week. I don't think I'd survive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah...that's definitely not a one week draft. It's possible that the people I'm thinking of are those forum writers who think they're the next "big thing", but have only been published through vanity presses. The ones who believe they know EVERYTHING there is about writing professionally.

    I just know that I can't write a draft in one week, and I wouldn't want to :)

    ReplyDelete