Monday, May 17, 2010

Revisions

This morning I read through the first two chapters of my WiP. I liked what I read, and I made only a few minor changes. As far as I could tell, the story flowed, sentences were concise, images stood out, and I showed, rather than told the story. This doesn't mean that I don't have any more work to do on those chapters. I still have to read the rest of the book to make sure the story is cohesive. And then I have to get some beta readers to go through it.

On the other hand, I'm my own worst critic. I hate reading my own work as much as I hate the sound of my own voice. I just see flaws. I'm easily convinced that I'll never match up to the NY Times Best Sellers, and I get depressed and feel like I should give up. Obviously I stick with my writing...

But this time, I read through the chapters as if they were printed in a real book. I changed the few things I would have mentally changed if someone else had written the book, and then I moved on to the next sentence. I know the coming chapters aren't nearly as well written, and I'm pretty sure that when I have beta readers look through it, the book will go through a whole round of "unforeseen" revisions. But for now, I'm excited and (humbly) impressed by the progress I'm making as a writer.

Now if only I could get my query letter right...

No comments:

Post a Comment