Monday, May 10, 2010

A week off...sort of

So, if you follow my twitter, you're probably aware of the fact that I finished the first draft of my WiP last Friday. It took me thirteen days, and the draft came in at just over twenty seven thousand words. Not a lot, but as I mentioned last week, I plan on adding a lot of important stuff the second time around. The first run-through was just me getting the meat onto the page. Next I'll deal with the side dishes, followed by presentation and clean-up :)

So this week, rather than jump into the second draft, I'm following the advice of many writers and letting my first draft stew for a bit so that I can look at it with a fresh eye. Today, I started re-writing my query letter.

Not the most fun project, I know, but I already like what I've written, and with a few more edits, I think this will really surpass the last letter I wrote. I'm taking my time, looking things over, and making sure that the language flows. It shouldn't be nearly as flat, and it'll help me throw cold water in the face of the agents I'm querying (in a good way...you know, to get their attention).

That's what I'm up to this week. Next week, I'll jump back into the WiP for revisions.

1 comment:

  1. It's a good idea to walk away from the MS for a bit. Read a book between as well. That is what I plan on doing. I should be finished with my first draft by the end of this week. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete