Monday, June 14, 2010

Are you scared?

No? Good.

That's half of the impression I got from Twilight. Yes, I finally got around to educating myself. Not by reading the book, of course. I've been listening to it on CD. My conclusion? Well, I haven't reached the end yet. I'm more than three quarters of the way through, though, and I still don't see any plot. All I hear is a constant Verizon-like repetition of Edward asking "Are you scared?" and Bella responding, "No. You're beautiful, and dazzling."

I found her use of the word "was" to be too constant. I know there are places where this word is the only option, but different sentence structures that require her to use active verbs would make the story itself more engaging.

Oh, and adverbs and adjectives are our friends...just like salt on french fries. But you know what happens when you use too much? It becomes over-salted! Her adverbs and adjectives are just too strong, and in my opinion, it's killing the story.

I can't give it a real review, partly because I'm listening to the audio and I'm not finished with it, and partly because I just don't know what's going on. I know I can't really be fair, either. I don't think the book is bad, but I don't think it's really that good. At least, it could have been better.

Oh yeah, are you scared yet? No? Well you should be. I'm dangerous!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I found the first Twilight book to be shallow, not very engaging, and incredibly repetitive.

    We're allowed to hate on it all we want since we're writers and have higher standards, but the truth is we're not destined to love it -- we're not the target market.

    ReplyDelete