Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I did it again...

I sent out another query letter. Which always makes me nervous. I'm a perfectionist, and if the letter won't guarantee publication, then I have doubts about it. I know it's ridiculous, but that's just the way my mind works. It didn't stop me from sending the letter out! I think it's actually a good letter this time, too. In fact, you can read it in the newly updated Synopsis page.

Last Friday, I sent my WiP out to a few friends to give it a once-over. One friend actually got back to me within HOURS. (While I'm on the subject, I want to thank J. L. Jackson for reading over my book. Drop by her blog and say hi!) Anyway, after thinking about the second draft of my novel, I came to the conclusion that it's still too short. I spent half the weekend mulling over ways to make it longer without just filling in with pointless narrative, and I came up with another plot to add to the story. This isn't a sub-plot, either. I realized that the main plot, while full and complete on its own, isn't complex enough to make for a great book. It would work for a Middle Grade novel, but not Young Adult...and this book is too violent to be MG. Today (and the rest of this week) will be filled up with these re-writes/additions. I'm excited! It makes my end-of-June [self-imposed] deadline harder to reach, but I think I might be able to do it.

Oh yeah, and I have to get Todd's WiP finished by the end of the week so that he'll be able to jump in on his second draft when he gets back from vacation.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats and good luck with the query!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the plug Giles! It was my pleasure.

    Good luck with the query. I am getting closer to that process, but I am really nervous about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo! Pretty excited to get back and put your (and my other beta's) edits & suggestions to work!

    ReplyDelete