Thursday, June 10, 2010

Lost in thought

Yesterday I suddenly realized how many blogs out there are written by aspiring authors. I wonder, sometimes, why am I writing this blog every day? I know it's important to build a "following" so that when it comes time to get published, I can tell agents and editors that I already have a fan base. But recently I haven't written anything that helps me create much of a fan base.

Sure, my book reviews have earned me a great deal of traffic, and I enjoyed writing them so much that I want to write more. But that's not what I do. I write fiction.

I'm kinda tired of parroting the same old writing advice, in part because I'm sick of reading it over and over and over and over again (but if you're new to writing, seriously, the advice is invaluable! Go read some!). At this point, I don't have much to add to the overwhelming stack essays on how to create engaging characters, how to create good conflict in your story, how to remain relevant to your audience, and so on.

I don't want to become a narcissist, either. Sure this blog is partly about my journey toward publication, but I want to have dialogues with my readers.

I'm just not sure what to blog about these days. Perhaps I'll write more shorts from Flatiron City and post them here. I may even take down that site and re-write some of the shorts that are up there. We'll see.

Today I need to run errands, send out at least one query letter, and read more of Todd's WiP.

3 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I am not the best blogger. I mean, who really wants to read about me? lol I enjoy the book reviews and I do read endless writing advice, but I am not too qualified to give it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm right there with you. Because I get the impression that most people are not overly interested in The Chronicles of My Everyday Life, I've only been blogging when I feel I have something worth sharing with my intended audience.

    Which means, I've been posting about once every two weeks. Erg. I hope you find a better solution. Let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't agree more, honestly. Sometimes it's fun to write about writing, but I never feel like I'm providing "new" information. There are tons of writers' blogs out there, so when I do write about writing lately I've tried to incorporate it into my genre or whatever I'm struggling with in my WIP.

    Speaking of my WIP, woo!

    ReplyDelete