Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Pirates waste your time!

I want to tell you a story: the story of my brother and his experience with a pirated copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, we all know the major reasons not to pirate e-books: it hurts the author, keeps them from making a decent living, etc..

Today I want to tell you a lesser known reason to download (buy) legitimate copies of e-books. You see, my brother read almost the entire book before he told me that he finally got around to reading the "final Harry Potter book." I started asking him questions about the book, what he liked about it, how he felt about this event or that one, and then I got a confused look from him.

"That never happened," he insisted with disbelief.

"Um, yes it did," I replied. "I've read the book twice!"

"But I'm reading it right now. You must be remembering it incorrectly."

"Where are you now?" I asked.

"Well, they're all on their way to visit Tonk's mother in Spain after Harry gets out of St. Mungo's," he told me.

I laughed. "They never left the UK throughout the entire series. You got a forged book."

He proceeded to get depressed that he'd wasted his time on stupid fan-fiction posing as an early draft. (At least he didn't waste any money on it.) He deleted the book from his phone and started to make plans to find the audio books at the library.

So, aside from the moral reasons not to steal e-books, you should always get legitimate copies so that you get the real story. And if you don't want to pay for a book, borrow it from your library!

No comments:

Post a Comment