Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Inspiration

I've done a few posts on inspiration, but last week on twitter Nathan Fillion asked the question, "Who inspires you?" I didn't tweet back anything, but I did stop to think about it again.

I realized that, with all of the episodes of Buffy, Angel, and Firefly that I've been watching, Joss Wheden inspires me. As do the actors that play his parts. They convey great characters that make me want to sit down and write... and that's exactly what I do! I grab my computer, create characters, and then devise problems for them to overcome.

However, those actors don't stop inspiring me with those shows. I watch Castle and Bones as often as I can (thanks Hulu!) because of the great stories that are crafted by the writers. Castle, in particular, inspires me because I can appreciate the process of putting together a mystery novel. I know Nathan Fillion isn't a bestselling author, but his character is and I like watching the character because a couple of years ago, I tried to write a mystery novel. During that time, I studied the art as often as I could. I'm surprised and pleased with how authentic Castle's process is throughout the course of each episode. Yes, I know it's formulaic, but most stories are these days...regardless of their genre. Anyway, Castle makes me want to sit down and write a mystery, almost as much as Jim Butcher makes me want to write a mystery...so that's what I'm going to do. My next WiP is going to center around a murder investigation.

So now that I've talked about inspiration, I MUST ask the question: Who inspires you?

4 comments:

  1. I was actually going to post a "common pitfalls" entry about this very topic... more like that it's an issue to sit and wait for inspiration. It's hard to say what inspires me, probably easier to say what doesn't. Breaking out of my routine is usually what inspires me the most. Reading/watching/doing new things, meeting new people, that type of stuff is what really gets my brain to stir out of its complacent stasis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for inspiration is probably one of the biggest mistake an aspiring author can make if they want to write full time.

    One of the greatest pieces of advice I ever read was if you don't have an idea for a story, read the phone book. By the time you get through the first few entries, you should have an idea. Now sit down and write it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's good advice. The dictionary is probably another good inspiration book, and worth looking at anyway.

    I'm coming to realize that "waiting" for anything in the publishing industry can turn out to be a mistake.

    If someone were to say to me "I wrote a book and I'm trying to get it published, what do I do?" at this point I'd probably tell them to just write another book. It's incredibly hard to do anything with only one book under your belt, but things get a lot easier once you've had more time at it, published or not. Would you agree?

    (sorry to segue the topic, but it's sort of related)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's true, though. If you sit around and wait for opportunity, you'll never get anything done. With this industry, we NEED to look for opportunities, and while we're looking, we need to create opportunities by writing more books.

    If someone wrote a book and asked me, "What do I do?" I would point them to websites that will help guide them toward publication. And then, like you, I'd say, "Write another book."

    ReplyDelete