Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Dear Dave Ursillo,

I'm excited for your e-book project, and I think it's great how many writers you managed to get involved with this book. When I first heard from you, I eagerly set out to write something outside of my comfort zone that would be appropriate. After all, I write genre fiction. Stories about heroes who risk their lives to save loved ones.

I wanted to write about my group of friends. People who encouraged me to break out of my personal bubble. People who, through their actions, taught me self-esteem, even to the point where I finally got the courage to ask my wife to marry me.

These people really care for each-other, and some of them have even used their military training (in legal ways) to protect members of our group from abusive ex-boyfriends.

But the detail involved in some of those stories feels tedious to me. I've lived through it, and I don't know how to tell your readers about my friends in a way that inspires them to get involved in their community. As I look back, it was incredibly easy for me to get together with these friends, but the bond we've built took more than half a decade to build. I'd give up my life for these people, and they've helped make my life as wonderful as it is today.

How does that relate to your readers, though? I think it's important for folks to surround themselves with the types of people I know, and I've even encouraged writers to get involved in role-playing groups for that very purpose.

But I don't know how to write a piece that's applicable to what I think you're looking for. When the book comes out, I'll certainly tell my readers about it, and I'll do everything I can to help market it. But beyond that I don't know how I can contribute. With work picking up again, I have very little spare time for my writing, and I need to use it as wisely as I can. I spent a week staring at a blank computer screen, wondering what to write.

Thank you for inviting me to help you reach out to my community. I will continue to do that in my small ways. If I can think of something to write in time for your deadline, I'll certainly submit it, but I'm falling behind in other work.

Sincerely,
Giles Hash

3 comments:

  1. Hey Giles!

    Thanks for this blog post. I'm sorry you've had any trouble with your contribution, and of course, feel no pressure whatsoever to slave over it if you do not wish to / especially with your other work picking up! :)

    However, you mention trouble understanding how your story relates to "my" readers, or, in other words the readers of this future ebook. The point of these stories is quite simple: for unique people like you and the other writers to share their personal stories; not to try to relate them to the hundreds or thousands who might read it.

    Simply put, I would love personal stories about community, friends, family... really anything that you think might inspire a reader to reach out to others, to befriend a stranger, (to propose to someone who might be their wife!), and so on.

    As always, please feel free to email me any time dave(at)daveursillo.com, or tweet me up. I'd love your story, but by no means should you feel obligated :) Thanks to Twitter, online social media and the Internet, I'm honored to have met and connected with you!

    Warmly,

    Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have some ideas, still. I'm just not sure how to write them well.

    Again, I'm really excited for this ebook to come out :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really looking forward to reading your contribution Giles, but you've certainly made me interested in the project as a whole as well. I know it can be tough when a story isn't flowing the way you want it to, but it did sound like you had a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete