Monday, September 27, 2010

A little fact...

Every now and then I'll be watching a TV show or reading a book, and someone will start talking about sound waves and decibels. Invariably, someone will announce to the viewer/reader that the human ear can hear anything as quiet as a whisper (at a mere 5db) all the way up to the loudest rock concert (some concerts get as loud as 150db...which is REALLY painful, let me tell you).

That little tidbit as actually INACCURATE because the human ear can't hear anything quieter than 35ish decibels... I say 35ish because I can't remember the exact volume. Anyway, a human whisper, on average, is actually a "massive" 50-56 db.

In case you're wondering how I know all of this, at the age of 11 I started training as a sound engineer for an audio/visual company. The reason I brought this up is because so few people even mention it. So many books and science shows get it wrong. Although most of the books I've read lately don't bring it up at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment