Thursday, September 16, 2010

What keeps you going?

It's easy to burn out on anything that we do in life. Our jobs, hobbies, relationships can get discouraging, exhausting, or even just boring, and when that happens, many people decide to give up. My writing, at this point, has yet to show any kind of substantial results. Yes I've written two full novels and edited them as well as I can with the help of a few other writers. But that's as far as I've gotten.

What keeps me going? Many things. I love what I do, even though I'm not able to share my stories with people yet. At least not in the way that I want to share it. I love writing books that entertain people, especially my wife, and right now, I've been able to create characters and worlds that intrigue her and will capture her imagination. Some day, I know those same stories will go out into the world to entertain young students. At least that's my hope, and that's what I strive for.

Right now I'm not burning out because I'm not just writing for myself, and the people who enjoy what I write give me the energy to keep going. Despite the fact that I haven't gotten anyone in the publishing industry interested in my work.

Today, if you're feeling burned out on your job, look around you and see if you're having a positive impact on anyone. If you are, see if there's anything you can do to make that impact even better. Take heart in the fact that, even if YOU don't like what you're doing today, someone else really appreciates it. If changing your life is out of the question, then just concentrate on making lives better. Hopefully that will give you the strength to keep going!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:01 AM

    Thanks Giles!

    A sweet thought and encouragement for those of us who write, sharing with friends and family, while crafting stories for the wide world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I feel so discouraged because I don't have the time or the right environment to write, but I keep going. I've been writing a lot of short stories lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, I can TOTALLY understand that. It sucks getting up at 5:30 every morning before I go to work at 8:30 for a full day's work just to jot down a few ideas. But because I love what I do, it's totally worth it :D

    ReplyDelete