Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Working out the kinks

I knuckled down yesterday and put together some REAL problems for my new protagonist. At first (and this tends to be my problem with any plot) I had no real tension. More and more I'm realizing that the best way to motivate a character to involve themselves in the plot is to make sure that the only other option is death.

You see, I've always wanted to create a character who has NOOOO motivation whatsoever, and I finally did that. However, the events that happened around him only involve him by coincidence. The problem in the plot would have been completely avoided through the smallest amount of common sense, so this protagonist really didn't need to get involved.

But I threatened him with death. He won't be able to maintain the status quo of his life. In fact, by doing what it takes to keep himself alive, his very existence will drastically change. So I really put some tension in this previously troubled outline, all without having to delete what I've already written!

No comments:

Post a Comment