Monday, October 04, 2010

Running Out of Words

When I started this whole "I'm going to be consistent with my blogging" thing, I planned on writing a post every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I thought, "Maybe if I write every day, I'll get more readers. You know, because consistency is one of the keys to getting and keeping readers." But I'm running out of important things to talk about. Partly because I'm kinda tired of the sound of my own voice, so to speak.

Also, I'm just getting tired all-together. I've been writing nearly every day for almost two years. And the only progress I've seen is that my writing has improved. It's wearing me out, though, that no one's reading my work. I know it takes time, and I'm putting in the effort to improve my queries and my writing style, but I've been working on my writing for a decade. I'm just getting tired.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but I don't know if I can write meaningful posts on this blog on a daily basis. I'm going to move back to the three times a week model, and I'm going to spend more time plugging my blog on forums. And I'm going to try to participate in forum critiques more. I just don't know what else I can do.

Any ideas? I don't know how else to go about getting an agent. I don't think agents owe me anything, I just don't know if I'm doing anything wrong, or if I'm just not doing any of it well enough. And with a tight income, I can't afford the admission for any conferences or conventions. I don't even know if there are any cons in my area... at least ones that agents attend. And I certainly can't afford to travel right now.

I really wanted to "attend" the online seminar that Kristen Nelson did last Wednesday about how to pitch SF and Fantasy, but my day job always interferes with those events.

That's enough rambling, I think. I should stop before this turns into a pity party. I'm not depressed, and I NOT giving up. I just don't know what else I can do. I feel stuck. That's all.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Giles! I know how you feel, which is why I try to only blog once a week. #1 I don't like talking about myself and #2 I try to keep the blog writing related and I am by far no expert in that area.

    I can't give you any advice on landing an agent because I haven't even pursued one myself, but your attitude about never giving up is a great one. Keep it up and good things will come your way. Just keep that in mind and you won't fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know about you but when I feel like that it usually means it's time for a break. Rest is just as important as progress. Find something that restores your pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think part of the reason I'm feeling this way is because I haven't really done anything in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete