Friday, November 12, 2010

Writing is like a job

Looking back at this week I'm glad that I'm not a professional writer yet. Contrary to popular belief, professional authorship is not an easy job that lets you sleep late, pound away at the keyboard for two hours, and then go out on a bender for the rest of the night. It's a real job that requires a lot of work and effort.

This week, despite how little pain I was in, I could not bring myself to focus on my writing. Though my pain remained minimal, it was constant. That constant irritation got very distracting very quickly. Sure I could manage it with over-the-counter pills, but I couldn't ignore it. As a result, anything I tried to write turned out flat, boring, mediocre, and sometimes just awful.

On the bright side, I DID get some writing done, and while it's not perfect, I can work with it without starting over from scratch. I just didn't get nearly as much done as I would have liked on any other week where I had so much time off from work. To be fair, I didn't expect to get any writing done at all this week. I expected to be in too much pain.

So if you're still considering a career in writing, remember that, just like any other job, you can only take so many sick days before you start getting in trouble. Sometimes you just have to work through the pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment