Friday, December 10, 2010

Audio Books

Audio books are, in my opinion, are one of the best options for people who love books but have busy lives. I really love getting through books because I enjoy stories. But I don't have time to read all of the books that I want to read. Especially non-fiction books. In fact, I'm almost half way through the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris, and I haven't even picked up a solid copy of the book.

The only disappointment about my method for getting audio books is that the Library doesn't have all of the books I want to listen to, and I can't afford to buy them on CD or get legal downloads. And I REFUSE to pirate any form of media.

So, this weekend you should take the opportunity to check out an audio book from your library. Pick a book that you want to read but don't think you'll get to for a while. In fact, pick a book that you said you'll read but that you don't plan on moving higher on your stack of "stuff to read." Maybe it sounds a little boring, or perhaps you heard something negative about writing style... whatever the reason is, if the producers got a great reader, they can bring that book to life in a way that may not be possible when you read it.

I remember listening to a book on CD many years ago that actually made me laugh, kept me interested from beginning to end, and genuinely sparked my imagination. I can't remember the name of the book, but when I analyzed the book later, I came to the conclusion that, without that great reader, this story would be boring. I wouldn't even be interested in the outcome of the first chapter (which introduced some of the key plot points).

And then, when you get awesome writing with a great reader, you have a quality product that will make you laugh out loud, even if you read the book before. The proof? The Dresden Files. James Marsters does such a fantastic job that, despite knowing the jokes are coming, I still find myself laughing in the middle of the warehouse where I work... garnering several odd looks from my coworkers.

1 comment:

  1. Very good point! It's the ideal thing for someone with a busy life but really enjoys stories.

    ReplyDelete