Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Book Review: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

I've talked about Kiersten White a few times, and ever since I stumbled on her blog, I've been pretty excited for her book, Paranormalcy. Of course I picked it up the week it came out, but I didn't have time to read it until the beginning of December.

The protagonist, Evie, has a talent for seeing through supernatural glamours. She uses that ability to hunt and tag vampires, hags, werewolves, and any other supernatural creature that needs to be kept away from normal people. Only a few chapters into the book, supernaturals start turning up dead, which is shocking to Evie and her bosses who only want to keep the world safe from the vamps, weres, etc.. The actual plot, while a little difficult to grasp at times, is very engaging. It's filled with three different conflicts, each of which is satisfactorily wrapped up by the end of the book.

Personally, I was caught off-guard by the simplicity of the narrative, but as soon as I remembered that this novel is written for young adults, I realized that, yes, this is a great book for teens. All in all, I think this is a great debut from Kiersten White, and I look forward to more books from her. The story is solid, the voice is unique, and the book, from beginning to end, is entertaining. The characters aren't angsty or whiny, though at times they come off as a little flat: much like the characters in the first five episodes of a TV show.

I gave this four out of five stars on Goodreads, and the only reason it didn't get five is because of my one "complaint." It's not even a complaint, really, just something that I noticed. This novel is written from Evie's point of view, and the character comes off as an energetic, sometimes hyper teen. This is reflected in the pacing of the narrative which never seems to slow down. When Evie is interacting with other characters, it's easy to notice how time passes and how the characters move through the world, but when the scene jumps forward by an hour or more, the only clue the reader gets is that the narrator says X amount of time passed.

All in all, I strongly recommend this book for any young adult who likes paranormal stories, and I'd also recommend it to adults who enjoy this genre. I'm looking forward to the sequel, and I expect to see great things from the author in the future. So, if you haven't read this book yet, go pick it up and read it!

1 comment:

  1. I admit I didn't finish it, but agree with a lot of your points on White's novel. I particularly liked her intriguing physical description of Lend, and Evie's enthusiasm. The writing was a little too young for me, unfortunately, but overall, a solid debut that should appeal to younger teens.

    ReplyDelete