Monday, February 21, 2011

Life's Too Short...

There are a lot of books out there that I want to read. Several that I want to read through again. The other day, I picked up one of those books, got three chapters in, and realized I just wasn't enjoying it. The book is Steampunk, and I wanted to take a look at it because it takes place in the late 1800s - the same time-period in which my Steampunk novel will take place. But there were just enough quirks with the writing that I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. So I put it down.

I've done this with three different books in the last month. And it's not that there's anything wrong with the books. They just didn't engage my imagination the way I wanted them to. Just after I decided to stop reading that last book, I realized that life is too short to force myself to read books aren't entertaining. Of course this does not apply to research or education. Just entertainment. For me, it felt like I got ten minutes into a movie, realized it wasn't what I hoped for, and decided that (since it's on Netflix Instant Watch) I would just turn it off and find something that will stimulate my mind.

I believe that it's important to learn from books, especially as a writer. And the books that I set down actually do have value. That's one of the reasons I'm not mentioning them by name: I hope many people read those books, and I hope that those reader truly enjoy them. But for myself, I'll pass on the Steampunk novel to finish the Hunger Games.

No comments:

Post a Comment