Monday, April 04, 2011

In which real life bleeds into my writing

I hear that the five most stressful changes an adult goes through include are marriage, moving, changing jobs, having kids, and losing parents. I knew a guy once who went through three of those five at one time. (He didn't lost his parents, and he was already married. I'll let you guess what he dealt with.) I wouldn't say getting a place is stressing me out, but at the same time, I hate making decisions that involve spending money. I don't like debt, no matter what kind it is. And I don't like making decisions in a hurry.

Our agent is making this quite a smooth process (which is her job), and she's doing it in a way that almost makes me believe that this purchase is as important to her as it is to my wife and me. That's exactly what you need in a realtor! Still, we agreed to buy a place, and we only have fifteen days to either confirm that we do want this place, or back out. I don't want to back out by any stretch of the imagination. (Although we haven't seen the inspection yet. I don't expect anything to be wrong with the place, so we're 99.99% certain that we're going through with the purchase.) It's just that I want at least three months to "feel out" this decision. Let me mull it over, weigh all of the pros and cons, maybe even live in the place for a few days just to see what it's like.

Why is that? Because I fear change. And this is bleeding over into my characters. I try to get my characters to protect the status quo, which is kind of their job. The status quo doesn't remain in place, of course, but as a writer, I need to make the characters deal with change differently. Especially because those characters aren't me. The character that I've done the best with so far is actually Chris from WYRM FIEND. While he doesn't exactly embrace the changes in his life, he uses them to his advantage. If I ever get the chance to write a second book (which I won't bother with until I have a contract for it), I'll make those changes rock his world even more.

I know change is good, both in my books and in real life. And I know paralyzing fear is bad. Very bad. Which is why I write. My characters don't get paralyzed by fear (though neither do I). They face it with the strength and power only fictional characters can possess. Mostly because the consequences don't ruin the lives of the people I really care about. (Not that any of my decisions have destroyed my friends' lives... I hope.)

1 comment:

  1. Change is difficult for most people. I hope everything works out and your decision will be the best one you make. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete