Monday, May 23, 2011

The Pain of Writing

I try to get up around 5 every morning. It usually ends up being closer to 6. But I stay up so late every night that, even if I sleep in until it's time to go to work, I'm exhausted. As hard as that is, I love it. The pain and heartache put in to writing is part of what drives me forward. There have been plenty of times where I looked at my progress (or lack thereof) and thought, "I'm done. This isn't going anywhere, and I'm just tired of fighting."

But I stuck with it. Why? Because I love writing. I mean, I would rather do this for the rest of my life than win the lottery. I would rather spend every day writing and creating stories to share with my friends than visit a new country every week (and that's something I would really enjoy). And I've put so much work into my books that giving up is more depressing that struggling in an industry that's getting shaken up from top to bottom.

It hurts, sometimes, to look at how far I have to go before I reach that goal of publishing. But it hurts more to think that I could have wasted all of the time I put into those manuscripts. I don't like wasting time, so I'm going to follow through, even though I don't know when I'll see the fruits of my labor.

3 comments:

  1. "I would rather do this for the rest of my life than win the lottery."

    Ditto, Giles. Ditto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now don't get me wrong, I would love to win the lottery, but I'd use that money as an opportunity to write more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete