Friday, June 10, 2011

Hey, I'm Learning!

So as I mentioned a while ago, I started writing a new query letter. It turns out that I'm improving! Sure I got the obligatory "your story's lame, give up" comments on the forum, but most of the comments were VERY helpful (and honestly, that one negative comment helped me see where I need to clarify the query). In my early letters, I struggled with voice in the query. I didn't know how to translate the voice of the novel into the letter, and I wasn't even sure what the voice of the novel sounded like. But this last revision helped me understand what my voice is. And by focusing on what the story is about, I figured out how to get the MS's voice into the query.

See? By sticking with my work, I learned how to get better as a writer! Sure, my blogging leaves something to be desired, but I'm working on that, too.

Now I just need to find a critique group to join so I can spend more time in the real world rather than on the internet.

Over the weekend, please consider how many blessings you have. Look at your safe, intact home, and then help someone else move down the path to recovery. As many of you are still aware, we still have MANY people suffering the loss of homes and families. Please give to the Samaritan's Purse US Relief fund. Have a great weekend, I'll see you on Monday!

1 comment:

  1. That's excellent! My blogging lacks style, but I know my writings improved over the last year. It's a constant learning process.

    ReplyDelete