Monday, June 13, 2011

What can I say?

This week, I'm going to New York for the first time in my life. My sister-in-law is graduating from the Merchant Marine Academy, so my wife and I are going to be there to celebrate!

Two years ago, I hoped to have an agent by this time. Maybe even a publisher I could visit while I'm out there. In theory, it wasn't unrealistic: I had a completed manuscript, I knew how to go about querying agents, and I was more than willing to put in the work necessary to move my career forward. As my regular readers know, I still don't have an agent or a publishing contract.

Is this a bad thing? I don't think so. In retrospect, I wasn't ready. I've looked over that manuscript again. And while it's not horrible, I think it still needs work. Sure, I finished another book in the meantime, but I just finished making new revisions. I'm almost done with that query, too. I'm not upset that I'm going to New York without having an agent and/or publisher. Sure, it would be fun to visit with my editor and my agent (assuming they worked out of New York. I'll be incredibly happy with my agent no matter where they work), but life doesn't always turn out the way I plan.

I'm working hard, and I'm excited about where my writing is headed. I can see it improving. I can see my query letter getting sharper, more to the point. I'm learning how to put together new stories. And I'm not afraid of getting a "no" from an agent.

What else can I say? I stuck with it. Sure, I have a long way to go, but I'm happy moving in the direction I'm headed.

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work. I'm curious to see if there are any major changes (in your career or attitude) after you attend the RMFW conference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great time in NY, Giles. I can't wait to read the "I am agented" post in the future

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd, I'm curious to see what happens at the RMFW conference, too. I have positive expectations, but I have no idea what my experience will look like.

    Miranda, I'm excited for New York! I'm looking forward to that "I'm agented" post, too. :D

    ReplyDelete