Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Overextended?

I have a huge week this week. And I made it busier. I have to drive the company truck for a show that we have which means I may get overtime again. I'm querying every day, again. And I'm going to start revising another manuscript. Again. To top it off, I recommitted myself to reading and reviewing Heartless by Gail Carriger, and I agreed (volunteered) to beta-read Hanna C. Howard's WiP.

Why am I doing this, you ask? Well, it's because I need to get my backside in gear. I've slacked off on my writing lately. Sure, I lost some motivation, I got REALLY busy at my day job, and my wife has summers off (perk of being a teacher). This means that whatever free time I get is easily filled with stuff. Some of that stuff includes writing, but most of the time I'm too tired to even think. But no more excuses. I over-committed myself with the intent of getting something done.

I still want to join a critique group with the RMFW, but right now I'm going to wait until after the conference. That will give me until September to get a project or two completed so that I can then join/put together a critique group.

Who else over-commits to projects? Why? And do you get stressed? Do you get anything accomplished? How long does it last?

5 comments:

  1. I feel over extended a lot.

    To be fair, it's my own doing, and I really do have enough time to deal with it all and am simply not applying myself as much as I could be.

    But I've got my job, and writing, and web design for our business, programming for fun/learning on the side...

    When I start to feel overwhelmed with it all, I get none of it done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get that. There have been a few times where I just "gave up" on a project. This time I refuse to do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The overextendedness (is that a word?) comes in waves for me. Right now, I'm not beta reading, so I'm getting a lot of WIP work done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think overcommitting is a common problem for writers. There's SO MUCH to read and write and we have to live life sometimes too. I'm still revising a book I promised my agent in MAY. I have half a dozen friend's debut novels sitting in an unread pile on my nightstand. And I have a huge birthday party to plan and a messy house. And no clean pants.

    Still, I wouldn't have it any other way, because it means I get to do all the things I want to do, even if I do them very slowly.

    It sounds like you're in a crazy place right now too! I hope querying goes well! I know that adds a lot of stress to life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I often push myself and make commitments in order to keep me on my toes. Yes, I've been overextended, and my writing time does suffer.

    ReplyDelete