Monday, August 15, 2011

Change of Plans?

I may have changed my mind about my writing priorities. I still have a book to query, and I have another book that I want to revise and query out to agents who haven't heard from me yet, but after I finish my verbal pitch, I believe it'll be time to start a new book!

I've had this idea running in my head since I started listening to A Game of Thrones. I like the idea so much that, more often than not, I find myself STOPPING the book to think of more details for my own story. This is a story that has potential for a series, which is irksome because all of my books could be a series. The first two stand alone quite well, but this one will take some effort to transform into a novel that stands on its own. I refuse to write a full series before I'm published. I won't put effort into a set of novels (two or more) that may never get published. Sure, I love the idea of creating a vast universe, complete with history, wildlife, mythology, etc.. But without any credentials to speak of, there's no real point. Many agents recommend (and I agree) writing one book that stands alone, and if you get the opportunity to turn it into a series, go for it. If you don't get representation, or if all of the publishers turn it down, then you haven't wasted your time if you only wrote one book.

I've done pretty well with my querying lately, and I'm going to keep it up. Tomorrow, though, I'm going to start putting together a verbal pitch for the conference that's less than a month away. I believe I'll start with my query letter and make changes from there. My wife has volunteered to listen to me babble on until it sounds professional.

Have a great week, please donate to Samaritan's Purse to provide food for the Somalian refugees in Kenya. I'll see you on Wednesday!

7 comments:

  1. Good luck on your pitch! I love how a new idea just pushing everything out of the way. Sometimes I let it; sometimes not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what conference?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The RMFW conference in September.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you're totally right not to write the whole series until you've got a book deal. I'm working on a book with series potential now too (my first was a stand-alone novel), but I won't be writing any more in the series unless it sells.

    I've heard Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers is AMAZING! Plus, I think my agent will be there. I'm very jealous. I hope you have a fantastic time. Pitching in person seems slightly terrifying to me, but as long as you practice a lot, you should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, who's your agent? There are several agents I'm excited to meet (though I only plan to pitch to the agent I'm assigned in the official pitch sessions).

    ReplyDelete
  6. The conference should be great! Hope everything goes well. Glad to see you have an idea on the horizon. That is the best part of writing to me. The beginning of a new novel taking shape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One author I really respect is Brent Weeks. He took the terrifying leap to start writing a series and began pitching it while he was still midway through writing the second book. He admits readily that it was a stupid idea, but has a great blurb about it on his blog. Scary, but sometimes a book really only ends up wanting to be written into a series.

    ReplyDelete