Wednesday, August 17, 2011

PS3's Broken. Again.

I tell you what, I got an instant headache when my PS3 crashed again. It broke. Yellow LED of Death. With one of my FAVORITE games stuck in the disc drive. This means I need to figure out whether or not the repairs I paid a LOT of money for came with a warranty. If I can get it fixed for free, great. If not, I'm going to choke down the pain and buy a new one. Why?

Well I said up there in the first sentence that I got an instant headache when it died. That's because this system is one of my biggest outlets for stress relief. I'm not addicted, I don't even turn the thing on every day. Most of what it's used for is Netflix instant watch. Be that as it may, when I have free time, I like to sit down and lose myself in a game. Now all of my stress (yes, there's very little of it, but it's still there) is gathering in my shoulders, threatening to make my head implode.

I know this is trivial, but this is like my books. If I suddenly found out I'd never be able to enjoy Butcher, Carriger, Tolkien, Lewis, or the other authors I love, I'd freak out. Pretty quickly. And the worst part about this is, if I need to get this thing fixed, I'm going to have to take time out of my busy schedule to run the system up to the repair shop. A big part of me is really hoping I can just replace the thing.

Stress relief is a big deal to me. Especially because of how stressful life can be. I think it's important for everyone, writer or not, to find a way to relax. Life is too short to spend it in a bad mood, freaking out about one thing or another. I know I don't always deal with stress well (though I know people who REALLY flip out about even the small stuff), but I am learning to remain calm under most circumstances. Still, my PS3 did help me forget my problems now and then, giving me the chance to regroup, recharge, and then face those problems with a fresh perspective.

How do you vent, release stress, and relax? (I know I've asked this before, but it's still a great question to think about.)

4 comments:

  1. That must be so frustrating!

    Honestly, I think when I'm super stressed out I turn on the TV, which is funny, because most days I don't watch. But if I can find a movie to lose myself in (this week it was Blade Runner) it really helps me forget my stress.

    Hope you get it fixed okay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lydia, TV and movies are two other ways that I relax, but unfortunately, the PS3 is my only DVD player. On the bright side, I can use my Wii for Netflix :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lydia. I can lose myself in a movie. Sometimes I can go months without returning my Netflix movies, and sometimes I can't return them fast enough. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that sucks. Really awful PS3 luck. I found out that if I don't read a book for a long time, I feel weighed down. I need the escapism. Games are like that for so many. Books are completely like that for me.

    ReplyDelete