Monday, August 22, 2011

Sometimes, I just like to sing


I sing in the car. It's weird because I don't have a radio. It got stolen a couple of years ago, and I never found it in my budget to replace the dang thing. But when I'm in a good mood on my way home from work, I find myself singing. Belting out, even. And not necessarily any real song. I'll make up a melody and just create lyrics to go with it. Often just singing about what my day was like, or what I'm going to do when I get home. I stretch my vocal chords, too. I really want to be able to sing in deeper tones, but I want to extend the high end of my range as well.

I don't have any professional training, so my voice doesn't always sound great, but I can carry a tune. Especially if I know the tune. When I sing regularly (something I haven't done in quite some time) I actually have a decent voice. These days, it would fit better in a choir, in my opinion. When I have a tune to follow, I'm rarely out of key, but there's not enough body in my voice to make it anything special. Perfect for a choir!

Anyone who's dug through my archives knows that I used to play guitar. I'd like to pick it up again some day, maybe when I have a few bestsellers under my belt, but I don't do anything by halves. I want to get a good guitar and a good amp. That's something that would cost me at least three grande. I spent $500 on a guitar once, and that was a huge mistake. Don't get me wrong, you can get a decent guitar for $500, but it's going to be an acoustic without any electronics in it. I want a real electric guitar with a solid amplifier.

But that's somewhere off in the future. Right now I write. I tell stories, and I belt out my nonsense songs in the car.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:03 PM

    Sing...sing a song! Sing out loud! Sing out strong! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Compaigner-I usually have the radio, but I belt out songs as well. I hope you do pick the guitar back up one day. My husband plays the guitar and sells them too. No you don't have to spend $500 to get a good one. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny, I've found that since all guitars are imperfect instruments (meaning that no matter how well it's made, it will never be perfectly in tune with itself), the cheaper they are, the rougher the fretting is. My ears are pretty sensitive, and even though I don't have prefect pitch, I can tell when something is out of tune. Every guitar that I've picked up that cost less than $700 sounded out of tune when I played certain cords. The fretting was off just enough for my ears to notice (rather than correct) the offness of the tuning. Whereas with the more expensive guitars, the fretting allows my ears the opportunity to convince my brain that all of the notes sound just as they should.

    But that's just me :)

    ReplyDelete