Wednesday, September 14, 2011

10 Random Facts

I guess I got tagged in a meme.  The delightful Wendy Terrien (who I met at the RMFW conference over the weekend) tagged me, so go check out her blog, and then read my random facts.

1.  I love Southern Food.  I grew up traveling across the country, and we spent a good deal of time in Tennessee, South Carolina, and other states in or near The South.  Sure, gourmet cuisine is great, but sometimes I just want cornbread with maple syrup, biscuits and gravy, mashed potatoes, pork butts and beans, and fried chicken.

2.  I hate chicken on the bone.  It's a waste of my time.  I don't want to try to figure out which parts of the food are edible, and which ones are just chewy fat that I'm going to spit out after I nearly choke on it.  Fry it up after you've cut it up.

3.  I LOVE spam with scrambled eggs and cheddar cheese on a sourdough english muffin.

4.  I actually like English food.  A solid English Breakfast, Bangers and Mash, Shepherd's Pie, I love it!  And no, it's not boiled to death!

5.  The only authentic French food I've ever eaten is a can of Fois Gras my friend Gabe bought for me when he was in France on his honeymoon.

6.  I want to learn to make my own beer.  Homebrewing is something I've wanted to do for almost a year now.  I think it would be fun, and I know I would enjoy sampling the product, even if it sucked :).

7.  I'm more obsessed with politics than I am with food, but I try not to talk about it unless I really know the person I'm conversing with.

8.  I'd rather spend $5k on an awesome kitchen in my "dream house" than $1k on the "coolest bedroom ever!"  A bedroom is for sleeping, but food brings family and friends together!  You gotta have a great place to cook.

9.  Part of me wishes I could eat out more to sample the best cuisine the world has to offer, but most of the time I'd rather cook it myself.  There's just something about creating a product from scratch.  That's why I want to make haggis with a friend of mine.

10.  And you're not going to believe this: I only weigh 155 lbs.  No matter how hard I try (and I REALLY try) I can't gain any more weight.  And most of that weight is lean muscle.  Only in the last year have I shown signs of a bit of "flab."  That's mostly from not working full time in the warehouse.  Part time gives me more time to sit on my rear.

I don't think I'm going to tag anyone, just because many of the bloggers I know don't have the free time to read my blog AND put together a blog in response to this one.  But if you DO write one, post a link in the comments!

13 comments:

  1. Giles, by chance, were you hungry when you wrote this post? Lol. I'm totally with you on number 2. I need fat free, bone free chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I wasn't hungry :) I am now, though... :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Each time I vist your blog, it's never disappointing. Your 10 random facts lurched me into a pendulum moment. I want to go back to my hometown, drive 40 minutes to visit my aunt and have at it with all the southern comfort foods she can fit on her table. Then, I wanted to find the nearest gym and walk/run until I could find a way to strip 5 pounds of flab off. Then I'd only have 100 pounds more to get to where you are :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha I'm with Miranda on this one. It seemed like you were a little hungry when you sat down to write this post. :P Food is a great shared experience though. My mom always says when she gets to design her own house, she just wants it to be one big kitchen with some bedrooms attached, since the kitchen is where we all hang out anyway! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thrilled that all of these had to do with food since I'm obsessed with food. I met these folks at a market and it was fascinating. They make home brewing kits...
    http://brooklynbrewshop.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angela - I'm glad you liked this post :) And yes, go get your grandma's food ASAP! :D

    J - I completely agree with your mom! The kitchen should have a giant island countertop, a "bar" for people to sit at and chat, and tons of other counter space for people to cram in and help with the meal. Then the dining room and living room should have NO walls separating them.

    Melissa - I'll have to check them out. There are a couple of places around Denver (where I live). I'm always on the lookout for places that have good products and advice. :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily H.6:45 PM

    Good to know sweetheart! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some great answers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just wanted to share that you have an award over at my blog.

    http://publishness.blogspot.com/2011/09/better-than-academy-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. If I had to choose between eating at five star restaurants or soul kitchens for the rest of my life, soul kitchens would win hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melanie - I thin I have to agree with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leah R.10:30 AM

    As a homebrewer, I just have to pipe in - for beer, if you do it badly, there are definitely times you do NOT want to sample the product...

    ReplyDelete