Monday, September 19, 2011

Awards and Mondays


I won this award from Brinda Berry.  Go check out her blog, buy her book, and tell her how great she is :).

At the bottom of the post I'll link to seven other authors who won this award.  For now, I want to talk about writing.

I'm confident in my current manuscript.  I have a friend who offered to look over the first fifty pages (and Aaron, if you're reading this, I'll get them to you shortly... sorry it's taking so long).  Overall, though, I'm happy with it.  If I need to make changes, then I will, but as it is, I'd buy this book if I found it on the shelf.  Not to sound full of myself (because I'm not... I swear).  I just enjoyed writing this book, and I enjoy reading through it.

Speaking of enjoying my books, the first book I finished is PAINFUL.  I hate reading through it.  It's a chore.  And I figured out why: it's boring.  The protagonist isn't real.  He's too good, too flat, too "meh".  And the plot is almost non-existent.  It's weak.  And I figured out how to fix it!

I know I said I had a new project to work on, but I'm not ready to give up on this first idea and universe.  So rather than jumping into a new project, I'm going to throw out the old story (metaphorically) and start over from scratch.  Sort of.  I have characters.  Granted, I have a protagonist without character flaws, but the other characters are quite fun, in my mind.  And engaging.  Yes, my protagonist has a problem, well several, but all in all, he's a messiah figure.  And that's just not good for quality fiction.  So I'm going to add some flaws to turn him into an engaging person.

I'm going to rework the plot, too.  That means that now two characters I originally planned on killing off are going to survive, instead of just one.  And the antagonist will no longer be the patsy of another man.  He'll be working alone.

So that's where I stand on my writing projects.  A new beginning to a project I thought dead.  I'm still shopping around THE DRAGON'S NEPHEW, and there may be some exciting news on that coming up.

Anyway, 7 people who won the 7x7 award:

Aaron Michael Ritchey: He's a VERY friendly guy, and he has a book coming out in December.  Go check him out.

Bree Ervin is a peach.  She's putting together a critique group, and she's been very kind to invite me along!

My friend Erik George has a fan-fiction blog that is REALLY good.  Better than most published Star Wars books.

Patricia Stoltey is a wonderful woman.  Very friendly, and she had her full manuscript requested from Rachelle Gardner at the RMFW conference last weekend!  She also writes for the RMFW Chiseled in Rock blog!

As always, I have to point you to my friend Todd Newton's site.  Go buy his book!

And, to close, I think you should go read Buffy Andrews.  She has some interesting thoughts, and her most recent post is a farewell to Borders.  A store I will miss!

Have a great Monday!

4 comments:

  1. Woo, thanks for the linkage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the award and congrats on having that "I would buy my own book" feeling--it's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! Thx for visiting my blog. Congrats on the award and to those you passed it onto.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete