Friday, September 30, 2011

Betrayal

My wife and I have been married for nearly four years.  We get along really well.  We never fight, and the only time there's tension is when there's an unspoken issue that we're avoiding.  We don't even avoid it for long enough for it to become a problem.  We're both so non-confrontational that we deal with our issues in a manner that avoids fights.

Sure, there are things that we've each done that bother us, but we say something in a very non-confrontational manner, adjust our behavior, and move on.  We're even closer afterward.  I don't keep track of the things she does because that's the fastest way to destroy a relationship (a tip for all of you!).  But I discovered the other day that my wife has betrayed me possibly beyond the point of forgiveness.  It began on July 4, 2011 on our way to a BBQ at a friend's house.  I didn't think much of it the first time it happened, but it continued.

Eventually I grew used to it and accepted it as a part of who she is.  Because I love her, I figured this wouldn't cause too much strife in our marriage.   But then, on Tuesday (I believe) I found myself...

Listening to country music.  Willingly.  Because my wife listens to it.  And because she's taught me to ENJOY it.  This overshadows the shame in my confession from a few weeks ago.  It is quite painful, as a matter of fact.

Don't get me wrong; I don't hate country music, and I can even appreciate quality music.  For a while now I've been listening to Bluegrass, and occasionally Johnny Cash shows up on that Pandora station.  I like Johnny Cash.  I like some of Elvis's early work.  I even like Charlie Daniels, Lynard Skynard, and some of the "twangier" classic rock bands.  But honestly.  I never thought I would voluntarily listen to COUNTRY.  I just don't like it.  Or I didn't.

Now for you country fans; don't take offense.  I have nothing against country performers, people who listen to country, or even those who choose to listen ONLY to country music.  I just don't find it pleasing to my ears.  Yes, I'm an American to the core with roots in the south, so the lyrics often speak to me (it's also something I love about Irish music.  There's Irish blood in my veins, and I'm proud of that, but I'm proud of my American heritage, too).  My dad even played in a country band before he started his A/V company.

But I prefer Fold, Irish, Rock&Roll, and even SOME Rap and Hip Hop (two very different things).  Now I guess I have to add country to that list of music that I "like".

And because I know she's reading this, I must say, "I love you, dearest wife of mine!"  :D.  I'll trade in my Honda for a Pickup, get myself a cowboy hat, and a faithful Golden Retriever.  (I'm just kidding.  I'd hate to perpetuate a false stereotype.)

On a more serious note, it's the last day of September.  Please head over to the Gary Sinise Foundation and donate to help out our soldiers.

A new Charity of the Month will be up on Monday!

P.S. If my wife's mother read all the way to the bottom, sorry if I freaked you out.  :)

10 comments:

  1. Country music?! O.o Just kidding. That's actually what I grew up listening to. I don't care for it anymore, but it's not all terrible. Just please, promise you won't listen to Scotty McCreery and his hokey lyrics. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a closet country music lisener for a long time. I grew up in the south, but moved to the NW with my hubby. Who DOES NOT like country. He likes Johnny Cash and Loretta Lynn, and twany bluegrass, but modern country he can't do. But, I it reminds me of my dad, and I do like it. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The audacity, willingly enjoying country music. That makes me feel okay about admitting my obsessive liking for anime. lol!

    Good on you to open your mind and enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the shame. Get out! Get out as fast as you can. lol (My ex-husband is a country singer, needless to say, I don't listen to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, no, Miranda. I could never leave her :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. J - I've never heard a single note from Scotty McCreery. Don't plan to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily Hash5:24 PM

    Knew I would get you someday honey. :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not sure I could get behind country, but yes, I imagine if my husband listened, I'd probably fold like a house of cards. He has gotten me into watching football.

    ReplyDelete
  9. From Emily's Mom.....I know the feeling...blame it all on Molly! She is the one who started it all...this listening to Country.

    I 'survived' the trip from New York City to San Diego, CA with Country....it's; all worth it for the one you love!!!!!

    PS since I just saw you ... I knew you would 'catch me' with the title...you always doo

    ReplyDelete
  10. lol, this cracked me up! I actually like country, but it's almost required where I live :)

    ReplyDelete