Monday, September 26, 2011

Moving forward!

So as many of you know, I went to a writers conference a couple of weeks ago, and I met some great people!  I had an agent request pages from THE DRAGON'S NEPHEW, and I got some great advice on how to make my manuscript pop.  I also learned how to write an agent pitch (which worked wonders...see above).  I spent a couple of days going over THE DRAGON'S NEPHEW with a fine-toothed comb to see where I could take what I learned from the conference and apply it to the book.  I like the changes I made, and I think it'll help the book appeal to a wider audience.

But now I'm going to take a few weeks off from writing.  Sort of.  I'm a big fan of the policy that says, "Write every day."  So I'm going to do that one way or another.  But I have a book to finish beta-reading (SOOO excited about it!!!), I need to finish SUPERNATURALLY by Kiersten White so that I can review it, I have to read THE PROPHETESS: ONE by Linda Rohrbough and review THAT one (because she asked me to and I'm looking forward to it), and then I have to put together a contest.

Yes, that's right, a contest!  No details until I get the prize.  Not sure what I'm going to do for the contest itself, either.  But we'll see.

While I'm doing all of that, I'm going to return to my DEFENDER OF THE CROWN story, scrap it, and start over.  I have some ideas to make the characters and plot so much better, but the rewrites would be so extensive that I might as well start from the beginning.  I'll hold onto a few passages here and there, but I'm also increasing their age to make it YA book rather than a MG on the verge of YA novel.

What are you doing that you're excited about this week?  How do you plan to re-integrate ideas from your past into what you're doing now?

5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you are pushing forward, and that you got a lot out of that conference. I'll be in editing/revising mode for the rest of the year, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing a massive rewrite on a very long YA urban fantasy that I've been grappling with for years. Good for you for prioritizing and moving on. Hope you hear good news soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean. I'm letting a MG sit for a year until I decide what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, contest. Love contests! I've been letting my writing sit for too long. Ha ha, need to get back to that ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm running a contest of my own, actually, so I can't wait to see what you do for yours. :) I'll aslo (hopefully) be working on the second draft of my WIP. Good luck with all your reading! :D

    ReplyDelete